Social media can be defined as "interactive platforms via which individuals and communities create and share user-generated content". When the technologies are in place, social media is ubiquitously accessible, and enabled by scalable communication techniques.
Classification of social media Social media technologies take on different forms including magazines, Internet forums, weblogs, social blogs, microblogging, wikis, social networks, podcasts, photographs or pictures, video, rating and social bookmarking. Many of these social media services can be integrated via social network aggregation platforms.
Social media applications used on mobile devices are called mobile social media. In comparison to traditional social media running on computers, mobile social media display a higher location- and time-sensitivity.
- Managing social media - There is an increasing trend towards using social media monitoring tools that allow users to search, track and analyze conversation on the web about their brand or about topics of interest. This can be useful in PR management, campaign tracking, proving social media ROI, competitor-auditing and engagement. Tools range from free, basic applications to subscription-based, more in-depth tools.
- Social Media Statistics - There are various statistics that account for social media usage and effectiveness for individuals worldwide. Some of the most recent statistics are as follows:
- Social networking now accounts for 22% of all time spent online in the US.
- A total of 234 million people age 13 and older in the U.S. used mobile devices in December 2009.
- Twitter processed more than one billion tweets in December 2009 and averages almost 40 million tweets per day.
- Over 25% of U.S. Internet page views occurred at one of the top social networking sites in December 2009, up from 13.8% a year before.
- Australia has some of the highest social media usage in the world. In usage of Facebook, Australia ranks highest, with over nine million users spending almost nine hours per month on the site.
- The number of social media users age 65 and older grew 100 percent throughout 2010, so that one in four people in that age group are now part of a social networking site.
- As of May 2012 Facebook has 901 million users.
- Social media has overtaken pornography as the No. 1 activity on the web.
- In June 2011, it was reported that iPhone applications hit one billion in nine months, and Facebook added 100 million users in less than nine months.
- If Facebook were a country it would be the world's third largest in terms of population, larger even than the US.
- In June 2011, it was also reported that U.S. Department of Education study revealed that online students out-performed those receiving face-to-face instruction.
- YouTube is the second largest search engine in the world.
- In four minutes and 26 seconds 100+ hours of video will be uploaded to YouTube.
- One out of eight couples married in the U.S. last year met via social media according to statistics released June 2011.
- One in six higher education students are enrolled in an online curriculum.
- In November 2011, it was reported Indians spend more time on social media than on any other activity on the Internet.
If you want to know more about Online Advertising and avail FREE Consultation: Write to : email@example.com now.
Source: Wikipedia and various books